A healthy mouth means a beautiful smile, which is one of the many reasons why it’s important to maintain good oral hygiene. October is National Dental Hygiene Month, which is an effort to raise awareness on the significance of healthy smiles. Especially during this time—the beginning of the season of sugar, knowing some oral health tips could save your teeth. Keep reading to learn the best ways to keep your smile clean and why it’s important to practice good dental hygiene in the first place.
The Not So Obvious Reasons to Clean Your Smile
Oral health has always been vital. However, recent studies have shown a direct link between oral and overall health. In fact, gum disease, a common problem that affects around half of the American population, can increase your chances of cardiovascular issues like heart attacks by 20%. Additionally, it can raise your risk of serious problems like certain cancers, strokes, diabetes, and even Alzheimer’s. Other infections in the mouth can also infect the rest of the body if left untreated, which is another reason why daily brushing is vital.
Tips for the Best Dental Hygiene
Thankfully, gum disease along with any other issues like tooth decay and cavities can be completely prevented with the right know-how. That’s why your dentist has provided these pro tips for maintaining a healthy smile:
- Brushing: Be sure to brush your teeth twice a day, for 2 minutes each session. Remember to angle the brush at your gumline for the most thorough cleaning.
- Flossing: Floss your teeth once a day to remove any lingering plaque or food debris from in between your teeth.
- Mouthwash: There are some parts of your mouth that brushing and flossing can’t reach, which is why using a nonalcoholic mouthwash is a great way to pick up the slack.
- Regular dental visits: Make sure to see your dentist twice a year for routine checkups and cleanings. These appointments are the key to preventing and detecting oral health issues before they become more expensive and extensive.
- Positive lifestyle choices: Bad habits like tobacco use and heavy alcohol consumption can contribute to problems like discoloration, decay, and gum disease, which is why it’s best to stay away from these practices.
Remember these tips during National Dental Hygiene Month and beyond! With this how-to guide, you can keep your smile looking and feeling great while protecting yourself from more serious problems down the road.
Meet the Dentist
Dr. John Hackbarth has decades of experience, and he loves caring for his patients in Texas City. He wants his patients to understand the importance of good oral health outside of the dental office, which is why he’s provided these helpful tips. He currently practices at Dental Cosmetic Center, and he can be reached through his website or by phone at (409) 935-2111 for any questions.